A Christian Objection to “Does God Predestine People To Hell”: A Response to Alex, Part VI

 Tartarus

“Let me speak plainly. Too long, far too long, have the clergy been silent; content to complain of a skepticism, of which a main cause is a doctrine they continue to teach (without, I believe in many cases, more than a languid and merely traditional acceptance of it.) I repeat that no thoughtful man can believe a doctrine condemned by the conscience; and so men will seek a refuge in skepticism, when they hear the clergy teaching these evil traditions (for they are no more) as part of the revelation of that God, Whose blessed Son tasted death for every man. Yes, the peculiar horror of the popular creed is that it sets up evil as an object of worship, of reverence, of love.

So revolting to our moral nature is the popular creed, that it, more than any other cause, produces the most wide-spread unbelief. Compared with this, all objections to Christianity sink into insignificance.

The intelligent are by [false teaching] forced into open revolt.”

-       Thomas Allin, Christ Triumphant

Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin

*   *   *

Alex begins his rebuttal to Part 2 of my original articles by spurring his high horse:

“I want you to understand that I am not trying to make fun of you or your arguments. I am sincerely pointing out the flaws you are committing. I’ll be honest with you; if you were able to correct these flaws, your arguments would be so much better. Work on that. I also suggest employing the use of epistemological humility. You won’t lose as many people like that.”

Not only has Alex misused the “logical fallacies” he has charged me with so far, but he has failed to recognize that he is committing the fallacies he has charged me with (my favorite so far being the ‘etymological fallacy’ debacle. I’ll be laughing about that one for the eons.)

Moreover, I will not commit “epistemological” humility, as the “knowledge” that scriptural epistemology pretends to have is, itself, not humble in any way (“we, the living, get saved, while all of you inferior peons simply could not choose God properly. Sorry! Time to burn.”) I rest in the humility given to me by Christ, Who is the only One Who actually is humble.

Finally: If I lose someone in my audience, then the message is not for them. If you don’t want to accept that “hell” isn’t in the original three manuscripts, it’s really not my problem, and my God loves you anyway, and will reconcile you to Him. I’m a messenger, not the message. It is those that the message is for who are being brought to a realization of the true righteousness of God. These folk are my audience; not the “Christian moral superiority” gang.

With that out of the way, let’s consider the second use of ‘hell’ again in the KJV, with the word tartaroo! Here’s the verse again, for your reading pleasure:

For if God spares not sinning messengers, but, thrusting them into the gloomy caverns of Tartarus, gives them up to be kept for chastening judging…

On this verse, I point out that 2 Pet. 2:4 contains the only use of Tartarus, and as such is the only verse where we can learn about ‘Tartarus.’ Alex replies,

“Okay, so you commit another non-sequitur with your fallacious conclusion. Just because a word appears once in scripture does not mean that this is all God wants us to know about it.”

To which I reply: there may be certain aspects of the judging of these messengers that are most certainly considered elsewhere (Matt. 25:31-46, Ps. 82, and more,) but this is the only reference to the actual location that they go. Once again, we have no reason to presume that God is talking about “Tartarus” specifically at any other point in Scripture, if He doesn’t even name the place anywhere else.

“After all, do we really believe that God reveals everything to us in Scripture?”

Yes! Yes we do! Like sure, He’s not going to break down basic arithmetic, but He lays claim to creating the arithmetic that you can study (John 1:3!) Why should I look elsewhere to see what God wants to say?? Sounds a little blasphemous, Alex.

No one should ever presume that we can learn the message God would like to convey by looking outside His text. In the words of Martin Zender, in his book, Zender on Romans, p. 298–

“Without [scripture,] we would know nothing specific about God. We would have no evidence that Jesus Christ even lived! Many refuse to believe this. They marginalize the word of God, and the tell me, ‘I have other ways to learn from Jesus.’ I say, ‘Learn from Who?’ and they say, ‘From Jesus.’ I say, ‘From Who?’ This goes on several more times before they get my point that without the famous penmen Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, they’d be as ignorant as fish about the Jesus they embrace at the expense of scripture.”

“It is apparent that when we look at the Old and New Testament, that is not the case. For example, read Rev. 10:1 or the mere fact that Jesus was not revealed until the events of the Gospels took place.”

First: if you want to prove that God didn’t reveal everything to us in Scripture, the first thing you should definitely not do is point to Scripture to prove that point.

That said, this is the eighth verse in his original series that Alex has brought me to prove… well, anything, really, so let’s check it out.

And I perceived another strong messenger descending out of heaven, clothed with a cloud, and the rainbow on his head, and his face as the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire, and having in his hand a tiny open scroll.

So! Since this verse and Alex’s claim don’t correlate in any way, I’m going to move on. Please (for any who read this,) don’t just cite random verses like this. In the previous article, I pointed to Titus 2:9-11, where Paul states that sectarian men are self-condemned. It is fitting, then, that Alex claimed that I was committing a “non-sequitur” before referencing this piece of gold.

Alex replied, giving me two opposite statements:

“You make it seem as though my original response was going to try and prove something. It was meant to disprove your argument rather than prove my side. Anyways, what the verse proves is that my claim of knowledge being able to be grasped from outside of scripture is correct.”

So first I’m told that this random citation doesn’t prove Alex’s side, and then I get a sentence telling me that this verse proves Alex’s side??

Alex claims that “John was acquiring knowledge outside of scripture,” so my argument is a non-sequitur. And while it is true that John acquired knowledge outside of scripture, the direction, aim, and context that we are discussing is completely twisted in his argument. John’s acquisition of knowledge here is what formed the text, and again, Alex would not be able to point at this verse if it had not been written in the text. Moreover, John is a prophet, whereas the only gifts believers have today are not prophetic, but are faith, expectation, and love (1 Cor. 13:13.)

Second: Jesus being kept a secret since the beginning of humanity’s existence doesn’t mean that God didn’t reveal Him. He very much did do so, and then completed the word of God with the apostle Paul (Col. 1:26.) From our modern perch, we can see the full scope of Scripture, and observe that God has indeed revealed everything concerning His will (Eph. 1:9-11,) through the apostle Paul (Gal. 2:7-8, 2 Cor. 11:21-23, 12:11.) This quite literally puts all forms of comprehension in context, for in Christ are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col. 2:3.)

If you want knowledge of the righteous judgment of messengers, you look at the Righteous Judge’s declarations concerning the matter – no other.

“You stated, 'With this verse, even the blue letter bible falters, proclaiming in its definition that “Tartarus is the lowest level of hell,” and compares it to “Gehenna.” Yet these are separate words, with separate meanings. Once again, let’s take a look at the verse, apart from our own presumption that this is some location of “eternal hellfire,” from a more accurate translation, with our pattern of sound words.'

Again, you are begging the question here. You are telling the blue letter bible falters, yet you do not say why. You mention where or what you think it falters in, but that is not the same as answering ‘why is it wrong.’”

Crazily enough, Alex, I think that’s because we need to look at the verse first, to see how it is wrong, before jumping to the conclusion that Tartarus is the “lowest level of hell.” There is one way for us to figure out if the blue letter bible is telling the truth: we must observe 2 Pet. 2:4, the only place where ‘Tartarus’ is used, and see if it claims that “Tartarus is the lowest level of hell,” or something to this effect.

Unfortunately, we already know that this is an improper definition, because the KJV translators translated “Tartarus” as ‘hell’ – not as a level of it. How can the word mean the place, and a specific part of the place?

Alex replies that “The very same way a word can have different definitions. The word ‘bat’ can mean an animal or a tool used in baseball. The word ‘beat’ can mean the rhythm of the music, a heart’s pattern, feeling tired, prevailing against someone and the like. Greek words function the same way.” Which, if proven in the Greek, could be fair, but does not fit the context here in 2 Pet. 2:4. The word “beat” doesn’t also mean “drum.” The word “bat” doesn’t also mean “ball.” The word “house” doesn’t also mean “living room.” The word “book” doesn’t also mean “page 49.” If Tartarus meant “level of hell,” then it would be denoted in the writing itself. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

“You say that Gehenna and Tartarus are separate words, but this logic is faulty. There exists such a thing as synonyms. It is your job to now prove to me that these words are not synonymous in nature.”

Actually, Alex, the burden of proof falls on the one who made the claim. You are claiming that these two words are synonyms, so I would like you to show me, in the Greek, where and how I am supposed to be making the correlation that “Tartarus” and “Gehenna” are synonyms – and why both words mean what you claim they mean. The verse makes complete sense apart from this idea that the two are synonyms, as proven already in this original series of articles, so please tell me why we should discard the word in its context in 2 Pet. 2:4, in favor of an interpretation offered by the blue letter bible.

All Alex did here was screenshot the blue letter bible and send it to me, to which I will re-affirm: the blue letter bible is not the final authority on the definition of any word. I asked for proof to his claim with the Greek text, not the blue letter bible’s supposition. This argument is, “The blue letter bible said this was true, so it is.” That’s what most of his argument in relation to geena, tartaroo, and hades has been. I have already gone into detail, both in my original series of articles (and in this series as well,) as to why the blue letter bible’s definition is fallible, and why we should not immediately take this website’s descriptions as concrete, evidential fact. Any man-made construct can err. This is human. Yet the context for Tartarus simply does not align with the uses of Gehenna, as we have already covered, nor do we read of “the wicked dead,” as the blue letter bible writes, being cast into Gehenna. We read of sinning messengers being cast into the gloomy caverns of Tartarus, not for “eternal torment,” but for chastening judging.

“By all means, I may grant to you that your argument is correct, in that Gehenna is what you say it is. However, it does not follow that Tartarus is not a synonym for Gehenna. By all means, if ‘Vale of Hinnom’ in Hebrew is transliterated into the Greek as geena, and into the English as ‘Gehenna,’ then it may have synonyms which you are unwilling to accept. Even if, in the Greek, it is stated as geena, this may be a transliteration that the Greeks use which is synonymous with tartaroo.

Complete assumption, with no evidence provided. Thus this is theory, not fact. If your evidence for this ‘synonym’ theory is, ‘well, it’s possible lololol’ then I will kindly ask you to keep your assumption to yourself, because you could concoct any thesis you want and then say, ‘Well, my proof is that it’s possible!’ It seems to be hard enough for you to accept things that can be proven, so stick to those first before jumping into theories – especially when God is very clear on the fact that the reasonings of alleged wise men are vain (1 Cor. 3:20, Rom. 1:22-23.)

You stated, ‘While much more similar to its KJV counterpart, there are some important differences, as well as a note we should add in the Greek. Before we get to that, however, we must make note of the fact that we are speaking of sinning messengers. In this passage, we are not seeing the eternal hellfire location for all bad people. We are seeing the punishment for sinning messengers (or ‘angels,’ if you are attached to that word.) You would not tell me with a straight face that sinning messengers, a term used of celestial beings in various parts of Scripture, are men???’

Here, you make a huge mistake of getting a verse (2 Pet. 2:4,) out of its context.”

Wow! What a slap in the face! The dramatic irony to this is that if I had included the context right here, as I did with Matthew 5 and James, Alex almost assuredly would have called it fluff! Moreover, I do express the context a few paragraphs later! The academic dishonesty here is truly amazing.

Alex replies that I’m the one being academically dishonest, saying,

“You want to know what is truly academically dishonest? What you did in the prior quote of mine. Or likewise, how you caricature my position into something that I do not believe and then attack it. Or the fact that you do not recognize that hell as I understand it is in lexicons. Or how about the fact that you say hell was put in by Jerome when in fact it was understood as I understand it by people who are early church fathers?”

1)    Just because hell is written in a lexicon does not magically mean that the theological location of ‘eternal torment’ is true.

2)    Just because an early church father proclaims the notion of an ‘eternal torment’ does not magically mean that ‘eternal torment’ is true.

Shoot, with this logic, I could make my own lexicon and… well, just “declare” things to be true, and they could be treated as fact!

“You cannot say to me that you think that 2 Pet. 2:4 speaks of only the angels, do you? I looked it up in your Concordant version, read the entire chapter of 2 Peter 2. Regardless of what you think this is, it is a severe mistake on your part to think it is only for the messengers, or angels, or what have you. It is such a severe issue that even if the translator of the concordant himself makes this same mistake, I would doubt the authenticity of his credentials.

Let me be clear. I am addressing the issue of whether or not this applies to humans as well. It am not saying that ‘Tartarus’ is ‘hell’ as I believe it to be. Context is key! Do not take verses out of their context. You should know that the letters from the New Testament authors were each one big, continuous letter with no spaces between paragraphs. Keep that in mind when trying to exegete a text.”

These 11 sentences aren’t so much a “reply” so much as they are a big, long-winded way of saying, “Man, I don’t believe this!” Alex does not give one reason or piece of evidence from the verse that indicates to us that we should be disposed above what is written. Alex ignorantly presumes, in his reply, that the above statement he makes is an argument, which is so incredulously wrong that I’ve even paused to wonder if I should even remark on it. I guess I will, for anyone unfamiliar with argumentation (that you may learn how to argue properly.) Saying, “Well, I read the same chapter and I think it means more than what it says!” is not an argument. It is a declaration of a disagreement – and that’s all. I can tell you why you shouldn’t assume that God meant more than what He directly said, yes! We considered the verse previously! 1 Cor. 4:6! Paul entreats us not to be disposed above what is written! And yet Alex tells me that I should be disposed above what is written!

Alex adds to his reply, saying:

“Anyways, read 2 Peter fully. You can see what I am talking about. The context is clear. God spares nobody from judgement.”

Thankfully, I have read 2 Peter fully, and I happened to read a major contrast between the judgment of various groups in 2:4-6 (from sinning messengers to the flood of the ancient world to Sodom and Gomorrah,) and the rescue of the devout out of trial in 2:7-9 (exemplified by Lot being spared of the judgment of Sodom and Gomorrah.) When we “read 2 Peter fully,” we actually see, contrary to Alex’s view, that some are spared from judgment, as is the case with Lot. 2 Peter 2:9 directly states:

The Lord is acquainted with the rescue of the devout out of trial, yet is keeping the unjust for chastening in the day of judging…

The devout are spared of indignation (paralleled in greater fashion in Paul’s words in Rom. 5:9,) whereas those God declares unjust are judged.

Since Alex isn’t really arguing, I guess I’ll find the best argument I can against this. “But Gerudo!” I hear you crying. “Doesn’t Paul say, in Romans 3:10, that not one is just? Doesn’t this mean that everyone will be judged?” And yes, you sneaky curmudgeon, Paul does say that! But he follows this up with the doctrine of justification through Christ’s faith, in Rom. 3:21-23, and later, in the previously cited verse (Rom. 5:9,) points out that those believing in his evangel are spared of this indignation, which, though it is a separate ministry, parallels Peter’s example nicely.

So! Again, who should I believe? Alex, or God? Alex tells me that “the whole chapter is about judgment,” and that “the context is clear.” This is, again, not proper exegesis if you do not proceed to explain the context which is supposedly clear.

To you, Alex: there are billions of people on the earth. What is clear to you may not be clear to others. Especially considering the fact that this is going to be publicized, it is necessary, no matter how dry or repetitious it may be, to expound upon the context of a verse anyway. Just saying “hey, it’s clear,” and making one singular, absolute statement (which doesn’t fully align with the text anyway) isn’t proper exegesis. You have told me at least a hundred times throughout your original series and your later reply that you take offense to my writing style, and that I’m poor at arguing. Yet I’m most certainly not making singular statements like this and wandering away after screenshotting the blue letter bible. Why, pray tell, should I be taking writing or scriptural advice from you, when you yourself are not adhering to your own principles?

“Now we have to determine whether or not this punishment is forever.”

We can’t determine that yet, Alex, for we haven’t even determined if the punishment even is, nor has he provided evidence to the claim.

“I will argue that even the Concordant agrees with me on this issue.

You stated, ‘What we read of Tartarus is the fact that they are gloomy caverns. The term ‘chains’ in the KJV is mistranslated, and should read ‘caverns.’ ‘Dark’ or ‘gloomy’ chains is nonsense; Peter is not Robert Frost, nor is this a poetic letter. He is in the midst of listing God’s righteous ability to judge.’

Okay, so there are so many things wrong with this statement of yours. You begin by stating that Peter is not Robert Frost, nor that the letter is poetic as a means to support for your understanding of the translation of the words. Brother, I could say the same thing for ‘caverns.’”

While I admit that my explanation for “gloomy caverns” is not as clearly exposited as everything else I’ve discussed so far, I will further argue that I didn’t have much of a need to explore the verse beyond the fact that it concerns “sinning messengers,” and not the likes of us, that made it sufficiently inconsequential for the “hell” argument that people make with this verse.

With that said, Alex is right to call out this section, though I disagree with the reason he did it (how it would prove whether ‘Tartarus’ describes ‘gloomy caverns’ or ‘gloomy chains’ makes no difference to the fact that it is describing a location.) I appreciate that Alex pointed this out to me, so that I can correct my mistake here. The word “chains” is a word study in and of itself, having three different words for “chain” in the KJV. These three words are as follows:

1.    halusis

2.    desmos

3.    seiros

The first word, halusis, is the true word for “chain” in Greek, its elements “UN-LOOSING.” It is, literally, a noun for the instrument that performs the opposite of loosing – that is, chain. It can be found eight times in the New Testament.

The second and third words, desmos and seiros, appear only once in all of Scripture. As the word for “chain” is already taken, these two are, derivatively, not the same word, for we must keep a pattern of sound words (2 Tim. 1:13.) God intentionally uses different words, here, so lumping them together would not be edifying.

This is, of course, not enough for us to discern the meaning of the word, so we must next consider the elements of the word, as well as its context. The word’s element is “CAVERN,” which is how the Concordant Literal Version translated the word. Finally, the context for seiros, knowing that all but chain could be used, is understood when we realize that we are describing a location, (gloomy _______ of Tartarus.)

From this train of thought, which is clear, direct, and does not seek to go above the thought of the text, one would find it in all ways sensible to translate this word, directly, as cavern, and then consider the meaning of the passage from there.

Unfortunately, in contrast, “chains” does not have this same easy train of thought. As far as I can tell (and, feel free to correct me if there’s some transcendent translation here that I’m missing that somehow beats this sensible conclusion,) the translation ‘chains requires you to have a prior belief concerning what this passage may or may not say, concerning what you already believe the ‘chastening judging’ is. It is, quite literally, a pre-supposition.

(Alex calls all of this fluff, by the way, because sensible grammatical arguments within the Greek that deny the notion of an eternal torment chamber are always fluff, whether they are primary or secondary in nature. No wonder he thinks all of these arguments are half-baked; when you say ‘it’s all fluff,’ you’re sure to remain ignorant to the facts.)

“You stated, ‘In the Concordant version, you may notice the word “chastening” is in the verse. This word is found in one of the three oldest manuscripts, being Codex Sinaiticus. I’m not going to argue over the efficacy of this word being included, though it is sensible that these messengers are indeed being humbled in their judgment, similar to humanity (Ecc. 1:13,) and considering the scope of Paul’s statements in 1 Cor. 15:20-28, and Phil. 2:9-11.’

What exactly is your point, here? How does what you say here help your argument? Please, stop writing fluff.”

And again, I can see Alex’s point, here. There was some extra time spent on the consideration for this verse, and honestly, part of the reason is because I was initially very unconvinced that this verse was properly translated. As such, I went through each part of the verse that I initially held up to intense scrutiny during my first consideration of the Concordant Literal Version. I had a theory, at the time, that “chastening” being included would show that this is still a location for torture – not to mention a potential indicator of “eternality,” and if I could prove that it was, then I would be able to keep some semblance of my eternal torment view.

That said, upon reading Alex’s response here, I can see why he would find it to be fluff, considering it’s a completely separate part of the verse. I was seeking to cover all my bases, and I guess I manifested that by considering each word in the verse and putting it on paper.

“You stated, ‘The blue letter bible is incorrect to correlate a judgment during the millennial kingdom in the vale of Hinnom with a judgment concerning angelic beings, as are the KJV translators (and any other English translators) for making such an assumption that God does not make. It’s disingenuous, and an inexcusable adulteration of God’s word (2 Cor. 4:2.) To remove the point God makes in favor of an idea man believes makes more sense to them personally falsifies the text, and those that are teaching this idea directly, especially upon realizing this error, are ignorant to the heart of God (Rom. 1:18-32,) hypocritical in their love (Rom. 2:1-4,) and will be judged on Judgment Day by God in accord with this knowingly false action (Rom. 2:5-15.)’

You did a poor job here again.”

I have a knack for doing that.

“How? You’re making these claims without trying to prove why the blue letter bible or any other bible translation in English is wrong.”

Except I did do that, in the first sentence of the paragraph you cited. The blue letter bible folk (which, really, was the Strong’s concordance folk) are making an assumption that all judgment is the same across the board, when we have no grounds to make this assessment (and in fact, have more grounds to presume otherwise.) The burden of proof is on those guys to prove why we should be correlating them. Just because some guys “said it” once does not magically make it true. I could tell you that “Star Wars is about Captain Kirk and Spock,” but that doesn’t magically make my statement true in any capacity. If they do not prove themselves, then their definition is a moot point.

In contrast, in this exact series of articles, I have gone into great detail now on the Greek itself, as opposed to man’s ideas about the Greek. The judgment in Gehenna in the millennial kingdom is clearly for men in the millennial kingdom, while the “chastening judging” that is being referred to in 2 Pet. 2:4 is explicitly said to be in relation to sinning messengers. As there is a radical difference between an angelic messengers and human beings, I would say that it is a much safer bet to keep these two concepts separate, than to force them into the same event. God distinguishes them with His words, so why should we go above Him and merge them together?

“By the way, I hope you realize you are trying to go against not only English, but also Spanish…”

And Chinese, and Korean, and Egyptian, and Turkish, and…

“…so many other languages which disagree with you. The majority position of Christianity as a whole is that hell is a place of eternal torment. You really are trying to pick a fight with the majority of Christianity, here.

Not only that, but you are literally going against the earliest teachings of hell as taught by some of the disciples of the apostles themselves. To name a couple: Ignatius and the Clement of Rome. Those two apostolic fathers actually knew, and were taught by, the Apostles! So, here’s my issue: why should I believe you or the Concordant on this topic, when the literal students of the Apostles are saying otherwise?”

Well, it is absolutely true that I’m inadvertently picking a fight with the majority of Christianity, but it doesn’t stem from a desire to do so. I am forced into open revolt, which I would not be doing if such a lie were not being propagated. Please, observe Matt. 7:21-23–

Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will be entering into the kingdom of the heavens, but he who is doing the will of My Father Who is in the heavens.

Many will be declaring to Me in that day, ‘Lord! Lord! Was it not in Your name that we prophesy, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name do many powerful deeds?

And then shall I be avowing to them that ‘I never knew you! Depart from Me, workers of lawlessness!’

My insinuation is clear, but I will affirm it. Which group, pray tell, is the only organized group on the planet right now that proclaims that they are “casting out demons in Jesus’ name?” Which group, please, is the only group that claims to be doing powerful movements, like the “Great Awakening” and the “Woke” movement? The Inquisitors of Rome? The Great Crusades? All in the name of Jesus?

Now, I’m not saying that all Christians are like this. To say so would be a brash generalization. But the groups that do conduct these actions most certainly will hear these words from Jesus. And what does this stem from? False doctrine. Please, observe another group of verses, 1 Tim. 4:1-4–

Now the spirit is saying explicity, that in subsequent eras some will be withdrawing from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and the teachings of demons, in the hypocrisy of false expressions, their own conscience having been seared;

Forbidding to marry, abstaining from foods, which God creates to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who believe and realize the truth, seeing that every creature of God is ideal and nothing is to be cast away, being taken with thanksgiving, for it is hallowed through the word of God and pleading.

Look; none of what I’m sharing with any of you carries this charge. I don’t forbid marriages (that’s the Palestinians,) I don’t abstain from foods (that’s the modern-day Judaizers,) and I don’t discard creatures that I don’t personally find ideal (that’s Christianity.) All of these are the effects of demonic doctrine.

Alex doesn’t seem to like this, saying,

“If salvation is based solely on faith alone in Christ alone, then why does one’s understanding of other doctrines impact their salvation?”

First, salvation is not solely based on “faith in Christ” alone, but based on God’s choice to save. Faith is the effect, not the cause, and God does not use our faith, but Christ’s faith, as the foundation (for our faith could never be a source of divine righteousness – Rom. 1:17, Eph. 2:8-9.) And second, if you’re believing in two contradictory doctrines at the same time, then neither of them are truly being believed. No man can serve two masters. It is fundamentally impossible to believe that “God is the Savior of all mankind” while simultaneously believing that “God won’t save all, but will leave most to burn in His personal torture chamber in earth’s basement.”

Alex also seemed to think I was referencing food (or that Paul was referencing food) in regards to my previous statement concerning Christianity’s propensity to discard those that they don’t find ideal. I was referring to the topic at hand, being the eternal torment of “whomever the Christians don’t find ideal this week,” as they are the only religion on the planet telling you that God would do this to you.

I look at these religious organizations, and the people inside them, and I’m not filled with rage toward them, Alex, though I am passionate. If I have any indwelt rage, it is at the false doctrines themselves, employed by the Adversary, which are blinding most from apprehending the evangel that Paul brings, concerning the glory of Christ, that it does not illuminate them (2 Cor. 4:4.) Alex takes much of what I say as an insult, but I would reply that nothing I’ve said even comes close to the horrific insult that “most of your loved ones will be burned alive at the hands of my loving god, because they weren’t able to rescue themselves out of this damnation.” This is victim blaming, fear-mongering, and a twisting of unconditional love. That Alex does not see this highlights his lack of awareness that he, in this story God is telling, represents the problem. This is why I am not worried about what he thinks is “insulting,” for I still hold fast to the understanding that all will be rescued out of sin’s grasp – Alex included. Alex is not nearly as merciful, and would sooner damn you for not accepting his declarations about the text instead of impart good news about God.

While Alex focuses on “majority rule,” I am focused on discovering the truth. I am not looking at the majority and assuming that they are the victors, simply because they are “so many” (see God’s sarcastic and firm disdain for this concept in 1 Kings 18:21-40,) or that they are automatically correct. Such an assumption is how Democracy rose… and fell. The whims of a majority do not silence the minority without strong pushback – especially if these whims come in direct conflict with the God of the Old and New Testament.

Alex replies:

“I agree. Just because the majority thinks a certain way does not mean it is objectively the correct way of thinking. My arguments about majority are not really to prove that my position is true.”

To which I reply: stop bringing it up to me, then. I don’t care what the majority thinks. I would rather stand alone on God’s side than consider each and every whim the sinning majority concocts. I loathed myself when I was a part of the majority, and have found myself much more at peace by trusting God’s direction. The majority are falsely devout, as we can see in 2 Tim. 3:1-5–

Now this know, that in the last days perilous periods will be present, for men will be selfish, fond of money, ostentatious, proud, calumniators, stubborn to parents, ungrateful, malign, without natural affection, implacable, adversaries, uncontrollable, fierce, averse to the good, traitors, rash, conceited, fond of their own gratification rather than fond of God;

Having a form of devoutness, yet denying its power.

When it comes to Christian doctrine in particular (that is, not Christian individuals, who are unconditionally loved by God, but modern Christian beliefs, which are not,) I find that the portions I underlined accurately convey the doctrine of eternal torment. The doctrine itself does not carry a natural affection toward all of God’s creation, with refusal or inability to see the message in the relative wickedness. Instead, eternal torment sees sinful creatures as the plague, folk that God failed to save – that He either cannot or will not fix, and angrily condemns them for it (with the standards for earning such a spot varying among local churches.)

These folk are averse to the good – that is, not fond of the good. The message that these folk are not going to be burned alive, per the sufficient evidence in the oldest Greek manuscripts, but that they will be corrected and drawn into God’s family (Rom. 8:20-21, 1 Cor. 15:22-28,) is the greatest news that any could ever hear! Such news ensures that there is a plan for all (Eph. 1:9-11,) that ends in love and fervent care for their Creator, as well as all (Phil. 2:9-11, Col. 1:15-20.)

The willful ignorance to the evidence displayed so far reveals a conceited nature among groups that knowingly force a false translation. These folk have seen the evidence and purposefully and intentionally teach a doctrine that very clearly carries serious error, with much more provable and loving alternatives rooted directly in the text.

Such folk are not fond of God, but find gratification in their own interpretations. This argument can be considered as such: “Well, I think the majority makes more sense than the word of God, and I agree with the majority rather than the oldest Greek manuscripts, which would more accurately convey God’s thought.”

We can, finally, infer that this attitude is core to the Christian religion, as their doctrine enables such mode of thought. They are indeed devout – all of the gatherings, prayer circles, apologetics, and more – but they deny the power of the One they claim to worship. God is able in all – yet He cannot save all. Or, God loves all, so much so that He sends His own Son – yet He chooses not to save all.

Alex would do well to drop out of such high-minded social groups, for it infects his argumentation. Many don’t consider that the things they’ve been taught could be false, and hardly want to self-reflect, while providing these same excuses that Alex does. By presenting these excuses like this, I hope to awaken a few to their own lack of careful textual criticism, that they may be invigorated to truly consider the word of God as is, instead of asserting their belief first, and pulling random, mistranslated verses out of context to try and prove it.

And, finally, my final thoughts on the “apostolic fathers” deal: I am here to study the word itself, not man’s opinions about the word. Why study the students of the apostles when I can study the apostles? It would be like trying to learn calculus from my friend in class instead of the certified math teacher. Will he get a few things correct? Sure. But he’s certainly no expert, and his credibility is wanting.

Alex replied,

“The Early Church Fathers had to go off by something which is much older than the Codices. The codices might be the oldest completed versions in Greek. They are not however the oldest.”

I can only assume that he thinks, because the early church fathers could read material that we don’t have today, that we should not be trusting the oldest Greek manuscripts that are available, but the secondary sources outside of God’s word in order to grasp the thoughts stated in the text. I rebut that, again, the early church fathers are not the word of God. Old or new does not change the fact that they are fallible men, just as fallible as the majority today. The codices that we have today are the oldest available, and the early church fathers do not supersede the word of God in any capacity. The word of sinning man and the word of God do not agree.

“Again, you need to remember to be more loving in your rebuttal or answering of this. I say this respectfully! I’m not sure who hurt you for you to be this harsh, but anyone who does not know you and reads your website will be scared away from the faith. Be careful, man.”

And who would be the one to tell me how loving I’m being, Alex? Yourself? This is going to happen more often. With no argument, Alex has sunk to this emotional criticism, claiming “volatility” to distract from his own unfounded talking points.

Last thing before the break: I am trying to scare many away from such unfounded, fear-driven doctrines, Alex. That’s the reason for the verbiage. I’m sure you would claim that my last 20 paragraphs or so are just cold, heartless ramblings, but that’s because you do not want to hear or consider or weigh the points I’ve been making (it’s all fluff, right?) If you find mal-intent, you would use that as a platform to dismiss everything I say. I have been very patient throughout this study, even through the personal cracks like the one you give here, but you and I both would gain nothing if I sat here sugarcoating every other point.

The secret purpose of this study is slowly, but surely, being completed. This is an argumentative writing that looks at me, and not the argument, which is the last thing we should be doing to each other. The Pharisees would make the same argument against the locust-eating John. “Well he’s ugly with a weird childhood, and all he talks about is how hypocritical we all are! Why hear that guy?” We should be seeking the oldest Greek manuscripts, and considering their employment of prose. I am increasingly unconvinced that Alex has taken any time to consider the Concordant Version in any honest capacity, as he would not be making half of the claims he does if he had spent more than 12 minutes on their site. Either he can’t consider it, or he won’t consider it. Neither is academically honest. I pray that Alex wakes up to this cognitive dissonance by God, and is brought into a further realization of the truth.

(to be continued)

- GerudoKing

Comments

Popular Posts