#90. Romans 3:22-23 – No Sinner Exempted (Justification Series, Part XIII)
Part III: Our Justification, Confirmed
Yet now, apart from law, a righteousness of God is manifest (being
attested by the law and the prophets), yet a righteousness of God through Jesus
Christ’s faith, for all, and on all who are believing, for there is no distinction, for all have sinned, and are
wanting of the glory of God.
No Distinction
Much time I have spent reflecting on the words, “no distinction.” This is the only part of Romans 3:21-23 which has puzzled me, almost as long as I have dwelled on it. The difficulty, I suppose, is that I learned early on from a brother in Christ that “no distinction” is supposed to refer to believers and unbelievers. “There is no distinction between these two parties,” said my brother. I simply accepted this, and thought little of the phrase for a short while.
…That is, until I reached 2 Corinthians 6:14-16. At this point in Paul’s letters, I believed I had understood the basics of Romans, and was prepared to consider 2 Corinthians. I was even confident in some larger portions of Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians, so what could possibly reside in 2 Corinthians that would confuse me?
The answer? Observe:
Do not become diversely yoked with
unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness? Or what
communion light with darkness? Now what agreement has Christ with Belial? Or
what part a believer with an unbeliever? Now what concurrence has a temple of
God with idols?
This verse, when I first read it, blew me away. It would be irrational to suppose that Paul is doing anything less than distinguishing, emphatically and with many illustrations, between believers and unbelievers. But how could this be? I thought, per the foundational properties of justification, that there was no distinction between believers and unbelievers?
At first, I believed that Paul was drawing the only “real” distinction that could be drawn, that being belief and unbelief. It would be natural to suppose that belief itself would be the exception that proved the rule; no distinction between these two parties, aside from the title. Yet Paul goes above and beyond in 2 Corinthians, relating unbelief to darkness, lawlessness, and idolatry.
Thus, I thought to myself, there are clearly distinctions between believers and unbelievers! Truly, if the distinctions run so deep as to differentiate between one worshipping Christ, and another worshipping a demon, then there are certainly distinctions which must be maintained between believers and unbelievers, and we must further be able to discern, through the text, who among us is believing and who is not.
This posed the obvious problem: what, then, had I missed in Romans 3:21-23? How are we supposed to understand a lack of distinction?
One plausible answer, one which I have maintained for years, is that “no distinction” may refer to both Jews and Greeks, who are “all” under sin (Rom. 3:9.) This is sensible, for the following clause, “for all have sinned,” gives us a similar claim. It tracks that Paul would continue his underlying argument against Judaizers, even in his presentation of the evangel (an evangel which necessitates obstruction, obfuscation, and disagreement to enforce its premise.)
While this satisfies the structure of the letter, it does not satisfy the context. Thus I had previously made an error by relating the “for all” to the individual’s salvation, “and on all” to the nation’s salvation. There was no grounds for this – merely a veiled connection between Romans 3-8 and 9-11, entirely supposed on my end. One cannot turn plain statements into complicated ones in order to establish an idea. So, it was back to square one.
We may work backwards, then, to learn the truth. It assuredly cannot refer to “believers” and “unbelievers,” since this itself serves great juxtaposition. But it can connect the former part of the epistle, which relayed the divine perspective of human action, with the present part, concerning divine action.
Christ has died for all sinners. There is no “distinguished” part of humanity for which He died, which would preclude others for any reason. Christ did not die for “believers,” or for “saints.” Neither group, in relation to Paul’s message, existed at the time of His death. He died for our sins, yes; yet this is because He died for all.
Our
belief, then, does not immediately remove us from the reality of our
sin. Whether one “believes” or not does not change the reality of the blood
coursing through their veins, the decay of their flesh, and their impending
death. We are all unjust, and we are all under sin. Our belief, in part, acknowledges
this fact, as the primary prerequisite for Jesus’ salvific act.
A, B, C…
A
– “All have sinned, and come short of the glory
of God.” – Rom. 3:23
B
– “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou
shalt be saved.” – Acts 16:31
C
– “Children, obey your parents, in the Lord, for
this is good.” – Eph. 6:3
D
– “Depart from evil, and do good.” – Ps. 34:14
So began the curriculum for my Baptist church kindergarten Bible class. Their goal was to teach me the alphabet, while sharing some important passages from scripture for foundational understanding of their piety.
On its surface, this is a wonderful idea. And, in fact, if such a concept is possible within the confines of Paul’s evangel, I will happily parse out a new set of verses. And, aside from basic translational errors, the verses themselves are not the issue. My issue is with the order in which these verses are presented. The problem, that “all have sinned,” is presented as “A,” or first. This is fair, yet “B,” or second, is presented as, “Believe, and you shall be saved.” This was indeed the case for the circumcision message, in which human actions are being taken into account, and the salvation is for their terrestrial blessings. But this is not Paul’s directive in Romans, where our belief is regarded as the effect of Christ’s belief, and thus not out of us (cf. Eph. 2:8-9.)
Worse still, the pattern continues as if Paul then entreats us to follow the precepts of the Old Testament! Ephesians and Psalms are mixed together, as if they were making the same argument. From there, the true message of justification is obscured – so well, in fact, that it almost appears coordinated to those who do recognize Paul’s true teaching.
The underlying, logical converse to following the verses in the above order is that one may become “not” a sinner through their (not His) belief on (not of) Jesus! Just like that, a bunch of children are manipulated into thinking a certain way about the text, forced upon them by their environment before they’ve even learned to read a full sentence.
All Have Sinned
The “all” who have sinned includes believers. Our belief does not export us from our flesh. Our belief does not remove us from ourselves. Our belief does not deliver us from short-sightedness, or poor action. Indeed, there is nothing to distinguish us from the majority of humanity, if we are considering any act – including belief – on our end.
Where, then, does the distinction between believer and unbeliever begin? With God’s grace! While sin makes its home in our flesh (Rom. 7:12,) the grace of God does promise much more beyond this flesh, as we will read. In these bodies, there is no intrinsic, moral superiority that any of us have over the other. In fact, many unbelievers would appear to make better decisions, and commit more confident, considerate actions than believers! In my experience, it is often the believer who is in most confusion, frustration, and indecision about their lives, and the unbeliever who is able to “work” at making the world a better place (even if they cannot repudiate the death operating in them, from which Rom. 1:18-2:5 still applies.)
The base truth is that all are in need of justification. Why? For all have sinned. As we have discussed, since all have sinned, none can attain any condition on which a just salvation is made. The Christians, I think, understand this to some degree – hence they divorce “salvation” from “righteousness,” by making erroneous claims as “God is love (salvation,) but He is also just (punishment.)” Since they have supposed human ethics, including repentance and/or belief, perhaps with baptism to boot, as the foundation for salvation, they must diminish its worth to accord with the worth of human action as given in 1:18-3:20. This, in turn, devalues the cross, so that it is not the premise for salvation, but some side effect to enable “your” action.
In other words, they have lavished shit with gold paint.
Since this message speaks of God’s righteousness, and His action, believers must never forget that they are, indeed, sinners, where their action is prioritized. God does not look at something in a believer and go, “That… that quality makes him worth saving.” God is impartial (Rom. 2:11.) Yet, we may say, even if the flesh were being taken into account, the chances are that God would have even less alleged “merit” to save those who believe today – especially Paul himself, whose hands bore the blood of dozens.
May we, then, walk cautiously. The Jewish nation supposed themselves faultless because they “tried hard” to follow the word of God. If they believed, they supposed their actions were automatically righteous. Today, Christendom makes the same mistake. We need not suppose, via justification, that our belief has automatically changed us from “sinning” to “not sinning.” The righteousness with which we are reckoned in “justification” is an accounting, not some immediate, practical reality.
Wanting
Particular to the CLV is the phrase, “[all] are wanting of the glory of God.” Personally, I do not mind the versions which claim that we “fall short” of the glory of God, for such a claim is true. I much prefer “wanting,” however. The word is hustereo, and is translated both as “want” and “deficient.” Either work, given the context, though it is difficult to understand “want” due to how many different ways this one word can be interpreted.
The simplest way to understand is, of course, to conduct a word study on the term. The verb appears 16 times, though its stem, want, is the center of a few other words, such as “subsequent” and “will/willing.” Since it is a verb, in the present tense, it is giving the present condition of mankind, to be in want of the glory of God.
Now, I am sure most will not introduce themselves with this fun fact on their business card. “Nice to meet you! I lack the glory of God!” No, most cannot apprehend that they want the glory of God. They desire glory, perhaps, though they may not admit the “of God” part. Yet success, great creations, spreading goods or wealth, perhaps raising great children, and more, are all qualities which compose the esteem of God. To want these is to desire that very same glory.
You may, on rewatching your favorite movie or two, find a villain who goes, “And then, I will be a living god! Mwahahahaha!” This may work for the movie’s direction, but the trope itself remains compelling – not because the “person who thinks this is bad,” for many good stories have been written in which the main character, though complex, is often typified as godlike (see Paul Atreides in Dune, or Rand al’Thor in The Wheel of Time.) These characters are not inherently evil for seeking to gain esteem, nor should they be treated as such. These characters often explore the dynamic between the burden of sin and the glory with which they are imbibed.
That is to say: we often view Paul’s statement, that “all are wanting,” or “come short of the glory of God,” in a negative light. In one sense, this is merited, for we intuitively recognize that we are lacking something we were created with – being made in the likeness and image of God (Gen. 1:27.) Sin has perverted this quality, leaving us naked and ashamed (Gen. 3:19-20.) You may have even come to terms with this lack, and are at peace with it. Yet it is an abnormal situation, and we should not be so quick to mindlessly accept the lack as our destiny. It is simply the current state of affairs for the human race in this flesh.
Only Christ remains as the One Who can convey the moral excellence of the Father – and thus demonstrate why God’s glory is so valuable, and in such demand. His ability reveals our lack. Hence it is necessary to contrast the two here – all and Christ are not equal. What we lack, Christ provides, unconditionally. This must be done at perfect times, and perfect places, a perfection which could never suppose our action. Most, indeed, will not be saved until well after judgment day has passed, and the new heavens and new earth discussed in Rev. 21 have existed, probably for thousands of years (cf. Eph. 3:21, 1 Cor. 15:22-28.)
Yet God will not keep anyone deficient of His own glory, for this is a dynamic which satisfies His righteous agenda. When one is saved, the glory of God is imposed upon them (Rom. 5:2.) I will save the discussion of the “glory of God” for that verse (Paul uses ‘glory’ 16 times in Romans!) For now, we may see that apart from the righteousness of God, that which we want, from which we are presently deficient, will be lavished upon us.
For some, “glory” is not imperative. To these, a knowledge of God supersedes any bestowal of glory He could give us, which we know full well is undeserved anyway. While I appreciate the sentiment, we should not deny a just God His own grace! The bestowal of glory is an integral part to our growing in the growth of God. Why reject what beautiful treasures He gives? If He sees it fit to give glory to all who have sinned on the basis of Jesus Christ’s faith and death for sinners, then let it be so! He naturally knows what is best for us.
It follows, in context,
that this action, too, reveals a layer of God’s righteous salvation – one that will
not rest until the all that He has made, and whom Christ died for, has
realized their lack, and appreciate His supplication.
Structural
Considerations
With that, we have (almost) finished Romans 3:21-23, and now have a rounded understanding of the foundation of our justification. Without every clause in these principle parts, we would not be prepared for the second half of this section, which complements the former. Since all sinned, all must be justified. Since Jesus Christ had faith, all are delivered through that faith. Since the righteousness of God has been revealed, God is just and a Justifier.
Together, these cogs introduce us to God. Since we have learned, in depth, our real A B C’s, we can begin to form words. Praise Yah for His indescribable gratuities!
- GerudoKing

This was another wonderful writing, thank you Stephen!
ReplyDeleteI've had a question I've been meaning to ask.
ReplyDeleteI've noticed the last week or two that you have outlined very clearly how nothing about "you" has changed that warrants the grace. I'm sure you've wrote about that before, but it's become far more of an obvious point you've been making. Coincidentally, just before you started going down that road I'd already been discussing such a topic (not about you, but about me), with my sponsor - the point being that salvation is TRULY outside rather than within.
I can see HOW "wanting to please God" as a primary motivation can seem good at first and then go to crap quickly. It becomes an unreachable bar, and then puts all the burden and weight on ME (speaking for myself here), to try to make good choices and actions, that eventually leads to resentment. Trying to do this "other thing", however, has led me into fatalistic thinking. So, I made an assumption; maybe I don't feel guilty enough over "sin"? So I tried to make myself FEEL guilty towards God...and that didn't work either - self flaggelation for the sake of it isn't healthy.
You wrote recently about "humbling ourselves". And reading your writings, you're at PEACE with your faults. The question is HOW exactly did you get there? I've been reading Romans with my sponsor in my free time and as usual, early Romans trips me up and later Romans doesn't LAND without that.
I have a guess, but I'm going to save it for an email. As for you... I DID notice you said that you had started writing to SHARE the evangel and THEN the weight of early Romans landed on you as you were doing it. So you believed and THEN it hit you. It makes me think the "humbling" comes while knowing you're already loved?
And another point related to a prior article; you wrote once about people wanting the story to be about them. It was a profound point I'm only just now putting together. If it's about THEM, and there's billions of people, then everyone experiences everything as "about them". So...logically...it can't be so. The universal love you're writing about is what ACTUALLY would tie all of that together.
Thank you again for your writings, these latest have been phenomenal.
Good morning, Keith. Thank you for your kind words, and your softer disposition. I do see a fair difference in your words since we last spoke, and I am glad to see that you are getting some help you need, and that God is teaching you and is in you. Keep letting go of your guilt, for God has not passed a verdict of "guilt" upon you, or even unbelievers.
DeleteI became at peace with my own faults when I realized that they are temporary, and for a specific lesson. It did not make me "happy" with my faults, or provoke in me the desire to "commit" those faults to a greater extent. It was the realization that my faults are for my benefit. Even the smallest of events has a lesson attached. Everyone will receive a crash course on these lessons at Judgment Day. This, too, is for everyone's benefit.
To this day, many things I have learned conceptually hit me deeply and emotionally after the fact. I may piece things together, and oftentimes I take the conclusions scripture conveys as a matter of course, i.e. I expect such grandness from a grand God. My pleasure comes from hearing believers realize the same points, and I get to enjoy their feeling of discovery with them, as if it were my first time. There's probably some psychological term for this, but I don't know it.
To your point, I do believe humbling comes while knowing you're already loved. However, I don't think this is ALL there is to the picture. A rich kid may perceive their parents' gifts as love, but this often spoils them, so that they are not humbled, but puffed up. I think that, the reason 1:18-3:20 hit me so hard, was because a recognition of your faults is just as important to the humbling process. One must see what they lack in order to appreciate what they are being given. If you realize that we inherently lack love, then a lesson FROM Love, in love, is all the more desirable.
Small amendment:
ReplyDeleteWhat I think is happening is something I'm trying to fix on my own time, it's not something you can help me with. I can share it, though.
I think the whole "deserving of death" statement is being heard through the voice of my upbringing, which was that "you're not able to do anything right". So I see it's talking about people "not doing kindness" and I imagine it's God not LIKING anything that I do. There's GOTTA be a massive gulf of difference between liking oneself and who they are AND with "wanting to earn salvation".
You write in your writings that you're at peace with your shortcomings. I would hazard a bet that when you bought me that Christmas present a few years ago, the card holder, you didn't think "Gee, this good act isn't good! - God says we don't do kindness!". NOR did you think it was "deserving of salvation". Yet...you could see your Maker happy with you, could you not? You GAVE something to another creature of His Hand! Out of a genuine desire to do so!
I CAN'T do something without having some kind of voice rip me up inside. When I do stuff like that I often have tons of inner dialogue telling me how I'm bad, one way or the other. "You think that was good? Then you must not think you're deserving of death!" And then I try to justify why I deserve the "penalty of sin"...from a good act. I've been trying to be more kind lately, trying to do more in SPITE of the voices but it's annoying. I see "deserving of death" and think that means that God is MAD at me...for liking when I do good? Or thinking He's happy with it? And that's the place things get weird.
The Cross is OUTSIDE of me. Salvation is OUTSIDE and all the Good and the Bad that's IN me I would imagine is captured WITHIN that grace (where sin exceeds grace super exceeds). I even FELT it at one point, the gratitude of it. I could even see how ACTIONS could be taken powered by such gratitude! I could EVEN see how without that, even THINKING "this act makes me look good in God's eyes" QUICKLY becomes a burden about "being good" and "staying Good". Even the THOUGHT that something I do would carry praise from God in a “this is worthy of praise of it’s own” sense immediately turns into a burden. It's a weight and a burden that CAN'T be carried!
I'm guessing I'm seeing Him say "you're not good enough" and am rebelling against THAT... because it's what I always heard for all my life from the people I wanted to love me and part of me never thought it was actually true... The context GOD is saying it in is DIFFERENT... and I'm not immediately able to separate those intense and painful feelings attached. For so many years I tried to make my family love me, and I was insulted for it. I've spent thousands of dollars trying to WIN their love...and when it fails I see that message; "you're not good enough". I've spent the vast majority of my life alone. And I think THAT is what is dumping the grace message for me, is that it feels like it's grace in me "being the worthless, stupid, and unlovable person I always was told I was". It quits being a kindness and turns into a jab, easily. And then I sit and think "if I ACTED different, I could get different results!". I think what's happening is I see the grace message and how one is supposed to REST.... and I think it's crosswiring into everything.
I’m tired of going into EVERYTHING looking over my shoulder and wondering “how it’ll go wrong next”. Which is HOW I ended up doing the fatalistic thing...
As I said, you can't help with that. I have my own work I'm trying to do about it. But ... I figured I could share it as part of a larger picture.
I have really enjoyed this series and the timing with which it's coming out in conjunction with other events is amazing. Thank you again. - Keith